Monday, February 7

Isn't she lovely?

I kept singing this as I looked at my fancy schmancy new(ish) antique sewing machine. :-) Yay! Here's a little before and after love:



I bought my machine in Virginia about 4 years ago. She was a little bit water damaged and rusty. We lived in harmony until I decided that I could no longer live with this:


greeting me as I come and go into the house. To be fair our original plan was to use this as a shoe rack/mud room of sorts. When you live your entire life in two (yes, two!) rooms, beggars can't be choosers.

So I pulled Sue the Sewer out of the corner where I had hidden her (since I had given her a few extra water marks) and went to work.

First, I used Centsational Girl's mayo trick to pull up most of the water marks. I smeared the mayo on the water rings and let it sit while I sanded the drawers.


I was seriously impressed by the difference that just adding the mayo made. Really. Check it out:
Granted - there is still some damage. But HUGE improvement.

After I wiped the mayo off, I sanded down the rest of my sewing machine. I thought about just giving her a coat of wax or poly but once I got into it, I realized that the finish was too damaged and so I went ahead and sanded down the rest of the finish.


I chose the Minwax Red Mahogany stain, because my antique window is also finished in Red Mahogany. I rub the stain on with a rag, and I recommend wearing gloves. I forgot. I also forgot mineral spirits. So today I went to work looking like I hadn't showered in years. Awesome.


Anyway, we are having a super duper rain storm here in Hawaii and the humidity is preventing the stain from completely drying. So I cheated and stopped here. I am going to see how the rest of the week turns out because I don't want to put the poly on while the humidity is so high. I also still plan brush off the base and spray gloss black on the base. But for now, I am so impressed with the change that I keep singing the Miss America song every time I look at Sue the Sewing machine.





How about you all? huge rainstorms? Snowstorms? Fun with no gloves for staining? Whoopsies! Thanks for stopping by!
:-)
Barbara

PS. Did you know that you can look up the year of your sewing machine at the Singer website? You can look up your sewing machine's serial number and find out what year she was manufactured and where! Yay!

PPS. I am headed over to Thrifty Decor Chick's Before and After Party and the Funky Junk/Miss Mustard Seed Copy Me Challenge
Copy Me Challenge

5 comments:

  1. She looks so lovely!!

    The rain killed one of my projects today! I painted a board and left it just 1 foot outside our lanai (silly me), and instant downpour hit right as i finished. It was just drenched! primer everywhere on our cement...such a mess. And the project was due for another blog, so I had to spend the day painting outside, bringing it inside, BLOW-DRYING it, and back outside for another coat of paint. Ridiculous.

    I suppose I brought the rain on by inviting my mom to come to town tomorrow, though. Murphey's Laws follow me around like the plague...just when we were planning a full week of nothing but beaches. Oh, well. I guess there's always the west side! ;)

    Aloha,
    charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these old machines and used to have one. I think it's so great that you took the time to save this old gal and she is once again beautiful. Hop over to my blog for my giveaway if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is WOW!!! That's Beautiful~~~ What a huge difference (and thanks for the mayo tip, I"m going to be trying on my piano :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so pretty who would have known about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, it turned out beautifully!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I hope you've had as much fun reading about my adventure as I have had writing about it! I would love to hear from you! :-) Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...