Saturday, January 22

Refresh your Cutting Board - Green Living

Hey there! Turns out my hunky hubster reads my blog :-) He has suggested a weekly tip series. So here goes!

About two years ago, we were gifted a handmade butcher block style cutting board from a guy I worked with. It was gorgeous. Needless to say, it gets alot of use, and had started to look like this one on the right, but we wanted it to look like this one on the left: 


I had heard about butcher block oil, but had also heard that it was expensive. According to Amazon, butcher block oil is available from just a couple of sources and ranges from $7 to $13 (8 oz bottle) PLUS shipping and handling which has been running us about $6 out here to Hawaii. So I hit up the Internet and learned the following:

1) Food grade mineral oil is an acceptable substitute for butcher block oil. I found mineral oil for $7 at the hardware store. Not cheaper but no shipping. I also found that my local Target has it in store, but I can't see the cost online, so I will be checking that out, and will post an update.
2) Vegetable oils (such as olive, sunflower, walnut and coconut oils) effectively do the same thing for preserving the wood cutting board but go rancid. Yuck.
3) Beeswax can also be used in place of or in conjunction with mineral oil for a harder, buffable finish.

So I headed out to my neighborhood hardware store. This time I hit up Ace Hardware, because I Home Depot is 40 minutes away and I was excited to accidentally stumble across the Ace earlier today.

I found two full aisles of finish related materials (such as paint, stain, finishing oil, stripper, etc). In the entire two aisles (approximately 100 feet of 6 foot shelving, these are the TWO items that I found that didn't have WARNING... some said vapors harmful, others actually recommended getting a copy of the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet - tells all of the various hazards of a chemical.) What?

 I even checked out the water-based stains, which are labeled "No Odor." Then on the back there is a warning about harmful vapors. I was so disappointed, because I dearly love refinishing furniture. (Check out my Hoosier!)

Anyway, off I went with my wood oil, and beeswax. Between the two, the only warning is: do not allow your cutting board to soak in water - it will split.

I'm sold.

So after dinner tonight, I washed my cutting board with a "mild detergent" (Palmolive in my case). After letting it dry, I ran over it with a sanding block to smooth out the rough spots. Then I washed it again and let it dry. Rubbed a little bit of oil in it and Presto Chango!

Just like new!

Here are a few related tips:
1) Do not soak your wooden cutting board or run it though the dishwasher. (The wood will split over time)
2) Oil up your wooden cutting board about once per month.
3) You can use a solution of white vinegar and water as a disinfectant to wash your board.
4) Use a separate board for meats and veggies (I use a plastic board for meats, because I just think that the icky meat germs soak into the wood and thrive. But I don't actually know for sure).

So I think that's it for now. What do you think? Do you have a green tip that you'd like to share? How about a cutting board that could use a little pick me up?

Happy Weekend!
:-) Barbara

PS You my have noticed that I didn't use the Beeswax. See the dry, rough table that the cutting board is sitting on? That's n the list, and I am going to give the beeswax a try. Stay tuned!

10 comments:

  1. OMG! What a huge difference! This is AWESOME!!!!!

    xoxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps: I want a wooden board now! My mom got me plastic... bleh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi every one, here every one is sharing these knowledge, therefore
    it's good to read this blog, and I used to visit this web site everyday.

    Feel free to surf to my webpage original seat cover

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure this post has touched all the internet people, its really really fastidious post on building up new
    weblog.

    my weblog: wood cutting boards

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a topic which is close to my heart... Thank you!
    Exactly where are your contact details though?

    Feel free to visit my blog post ... uk dishwasher

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a shame you don't have a donate button! I'd without a doubt donate to this brilliant blog! I suppose for now i'll settle for book-marking and
    adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates and will share this
    site with my Facebook group. Chat soon!

    Feel free to surf to my web site - business strategy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I write a comment when I like a post on a website or I have something to add to the conversation.

    It's triggered by the fire communicated in the post I browsed. And on this article "Refresh your Cutting Board - Green Living". I was moved enough to drop a leave a responsea response :-) I actually do have 2 questions for you if you don't mind.
    Is it simply me or do a few of these responses look like left by brain dead visitors?
    :-P And, if you are posting on additional places, I'd like to follow anything new you have to post. Could you make a list all of all your communal sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

    Here is my homepage solution dyed acrylic fabric

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings! Very useful advice within this article!
    It's the little changes that produce the most significant changes. Thanks for sharing!

    Here is my site; car cushions

    ReplyDelete
  9. When someone writes an piece of writing he/she maintains
    the thought of a user in his/her brain that how a user can know it.
    Therefore that's why this post is perfect. Thanks!

    Here is my web-site - dark paint

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was able to find good info fгm your blog posts.

    Rеview mmy web site :: demenagement longue distance

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I hope you've had as much fun reading about my adventure as I have had writing about it! I would love to hear from you! :-) Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...