Monday, January 10

Home Goals, here we go!

Hello! First of all, I am excited to note that someone has read parts of my blog other than me! I'd love to know who, and thanks to Donna over at Funky Junk Interiors I've learned and implemented some things to Make My Blog More Visitor Friendly. Basically, so far, I've removed comment verification. Still more to do, and she has alot of great tips for blogging, which I totally appreciate, since I am totally new to this. So definitely, leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!

So on to my home goals - thanks to Centsational Girl's Home Goals for 2011 Post, I learned about Nester's Home Goals Party. My goodness, so many links. Anyhoo, I definitely wanted to participate, to 1) share my own goals for the fun of sharing and 2) share my own home goals for a little bit of accountability for actually getting stuff done. I'm new to blogging, but am finding that I get more of my projects done when I want to blog about them :-). So thanks!

Home goals, here goes:

Goal #1: Cover the front door windows with frosted window film. OK I cheated. I actually did this yesterday, but I am still counting it, since I read about the home goals party on Friday. I plan to post the tutorial on the film tomorrow. Our place is set up sort of strangely (hello Hawaii and multiple rental units on every property.) Based on the floor plan, I had two options when we moved in - 1) have people walk into our bedroom when they enter the front door or 2) have my kitchen in the bedroom. What? No joke.

Can you imagine looking at that everytime you walk in and out of your home? Ew.

Goal #2: Draw up a floor plan for the blog so #1 makes more sense.

Goal #3: Master the art of fabbing it up with paint (and a good scrub.) We live in a rental. Strange layout. Sort of old. Humid, tropical climate. Partly furnished with all thrift store finds that have never been painted or refurbished to make a cohesive space. But I RENT! And nothing that I want to change belongs to me. Fortunately, my landlord is pretty flexible about everything as long as it improves their rental. So my goal is to paint and embellish to make pieces coordinate. Barely spending any money at all, unless it is on something that I can take with me.

Goal #4: Make the patio a useable space. Currently, the patio (sort of) looks ok from afar. Unfortunately, up close, you can see that some of the plants (hibiscus, I think), are covered in black mold. I've heard two things -1) they have to be cut all the way back to nothing, and 2) they can be washed with a soapy water solution (all leaves individually). Anyone know the best answer or have any pointers? Comment away! Did I mention that this is the entrance to our apartment, so we have to walk through here every day and send guests through here? Also, I have to duck through that space at the end to walk the dogs in the morning. Usually the leaves are covered in dew, so then I am all wet, and all cranky.
Goal #4a: Paint and recover the patio set. Cute set, but it is an unattractive cream color and the cushions have definitely seen better days. There are chairs that go with the table in the picture, but in addition to being stained and icky, they are covered with an indoor material. So they currently live inside.

Goal #5: Start a vegetable and herb garden. Over the summer, hunky hubster and I travelled all over the mainland, before we moved to Hawaii. We stopped to visit my cousin, who described his wife as "so mother earth." She composted, grew her own vegetables, etc. They were delicious! It was so nice to be able to eat something delicious fresh out of the garden! So right now, there is a topsy turvey hanging on our patio. See #5. When we were moving in, I thought it was a pendant light. (We moved in in the dark.) It isn't. But, maybe we could grow some tomatoes! :-)

Goal #6 (Although this is the most important to me) Make this:

into an actual usable craft space. I've already done some work, swapped out the table (it went out to the patio) and created a surface to work on. But it is jury rigged from furniture from other parts of the apartment. So it needs some tweaking. And I realized that I'd like a work bench height surface, rather than a desk height, so we'll see how things pan out. Did I mention that this is basically right inside the front door? Disclaimer: WE WERE MOVING!! I HADN'T UNPACKED YET!!

So those are the goals that immediately come to mind. I am also leaning towards painting the kitchen cabinets. Ew, and mismatched, and ew, and I don't want to talk about it. But that is going to be sort of a major undertaking. Last night, when I uploaded the pictures for this blog, I thought about taking a picture of the cabinets. But then I realized I hadn't done the dishes. So no picture. Maybe later.

And oh, by the way, this is all around helping a very close friend plan and put of her annual off-road triathlon and weekend of adventure (Freedom Fest Hawaii) and make it an XTERRA qualifying race for the first time, help her with her Lukemia & Lymphoma Society Woman of the Year campaign. And managing my own life. Sometimes I think, holy cow, how do you do all this, when I read the posts and projects by my favorite bloggers.

What about you all? Any major goals for this year? Are you helping friends with any seemingly impossible goals? I'd love to hear about them!

:-) Barbara

1 comment:

  1. Aloha! I'm so glad you found me and left a sweet comment! :)

    My blog is still only a couple months old, but let me know if you have any questions, and I'll try my best to help out. I'm excited to see your projects and just became your very first follower! I'd love it if you followed my blog back. ;)

    Are you going to use Twitter or Facebook or any other social networking sites??

    Aloha, and I'm excited to get to know you.

    charlie
    http://attemptingaloha.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I hope you've had as much fun reading about my adventure as I have had writing about it! I would love to hear from you! :-) Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...